Sunday, April 16, 2023

Carolina Raptor Center Notes on Piper Glen Eagles

We appreciate Bob with the Carolina Raptor Center sharing his "field notes" from his visit last week. Hope you enjoy Bob's observations and commentary. 

We continue to work to protect wildlife in the Rea Road area and encourage Charlotte City Council to embrace smart growth protecting all wildlife.

The photo below is courtesy of Emilie Knight and all rights are reserved. 

CAROLINA RAPTOR CENTER

BALD EAGLE NEST OBSERVATION NOTES

OBSERVER: Bob

NEST LOCATION: Piper Glen Golf Club (Driving Range) 4300 Piper Glen Dri

DATE OF VISIT: 04/11/2023

TIME OF VISIT: 6:35 PM – 8:15 PM

WEATHER CONDITIONS: 69 F; wind 3mph SSW; Sunny

BAEA’s PRESENT: Yes; 2 BAEAs & 2 Eaglets

OBSERVATION NOTES:

March 20, 2023 Eagle Glen bringing home dinner to Piper with one of two eaglets visible. 

As I walked from the parking lot onto the cart path I was startled by a BAEA flying

from one of the trees nearby the clubhouse. It flew over the reservoir and headed in
the direction of the nest tree. I walked out onto the dam looking for a sighting
location for the nest that was not obscured by the leaves. 

I found it a little more than halfway along the dam and set up my scope. I sighted in and could see the tip of a head of an eaglet.

After watching the nest for a prolonged period I decided that I might get a better
view of the nest from down below near the small pond. I found a wide open view
of the nest from close to the bank of the pond and could see the head of an eaglet
poking above the nest. Again after prolonged viewing, the eaglet raised itself onto
the top of the nest and began exercising its wings. 

After a while the second eaglet began to make its presence known. By this time eaglet #1 began to jump up and down while flapping its wings. It appeared as though it was jumping on a trampoline and was pretty funny to watch. Eaglet # 2 joined in with its sibling and
began its wing exercises.

Around this time I sighted a BAEA perched beyond the golf cart path high in a
dead tree. The sun was still above the tree line and the BAEA seemed to be
relishing the last few rays of sunshine facing directly into it. Based on its size I
believe it was Piper the female.

As the sun was beginning to dip below the tree line I decided to move to the dam
once again. The eaglets remained quite active in the nest and one seemed enamored
with moving sticks around in the nest. I began to scan the reservoir area with my
binoculars and sighted a BAEA on the favored perch across the reservoir from the
clubhouse. I presumed it was Glen, the male, looking for an evenin
g snack for the
nestlings. He remained at that location for the duration of my visit.

The eaglets were becoming even more active in the nest and appeared to be finding
morsels of food that they may have previously overlooked. At one point the more
dominant eaglet appeared to be bullying the other. Perhaps sensing the hunger of
her offspring, Piper flew to Glen’s location and sat beside him on the perch. She
remained there for a few minutes and then flew to a sentry perch above the nest.
As darkness began to fall I decided to take my leave. 

Happy to see that all was well at Piper Glen with the eaglets robust and active.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun it that?