Friday, March 3, 2023

A Small Victory Charlotte Adds Second Zoning Sign

Sometimes you have to take a win when you can.


One of the first things I began to understand about the Gillespie Rezoning was the lack of awareness regarding the Rezoning Petition. 

While Piper Glen neighbors knew many of those in Old Ivy, White Oak and other neighborhoods along Elm Lane did not.

So I sent an email to Charlotte Planning Zoning and Design Manager John Kinley on February 19th:

Good Morning Mr. Kinley

I'm inquiring about the Gillespie Property Rezoning Petition 2022-121 9621 Elm Lane Charlotte, NC 28277.

I noticed the yellow "Rezoning" sign a month or so ago on Rea Road but there's no sign on Elm Lane, the actual address of the property. Accordingly many of the residents of White Oak and other subdivisions along Elm Lane are unaware of the rezoning request. 

Was this intentional? Or just an oversight?

I look forward to hearing from you.

A day later I received this reply:

We typically follow State law regarding rezoning signs which doesn’t require that signs have to be placed on every street front.   

We posted on the Rea, a major thoroughfare while Elm is a minor thoroughfare, however I do see your point that many residents along Elm may never travel Rea and see the sign.

I will look into this a bit more and see if we can get an additional sign posted.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

John Kinley

Project Manager, Entitlement Services Division+Rezoning

Planning, Design & Development

600 East 4th Street | 8th Floor| Charlotte, NC 28202




Friday morning sure enough there was a second sign installed.

Thanks John!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't they do that in the first place?